Saturday, June 22, 2024

Finding Family In Teton Valley History...


 I can't remember exactly when, but several months ago I came across a Facebook group called Teton Valley History. I asked to join the group and my request was granted.

It's been fascinating.

For years, Teton Valley was a second home for me and my family. It's because it was my mom's first home. She was born there and grew up there. Many of my early remembrances were of taking a family trip in my dad's huge Buick 225 to Driggs, Idaho to spend time with my grandfather...the only grandparent I ever knew.

Driggs, Idaho and Teton Valley was a child's paradise. My grandfather had a farm, complete with a few dairy cows. I remember watching him milk the cows (or hooking up the milking machines...) and even spraying milk to some cats who happened by. Whether or not the cats belong to his farm, I don't remember, but was a child seeing that, boy...it was pure gold.

Every time a post from Teton Valley History pops up on Facebook, I check it out. I look for familiar names, Knights, Price, Dalley, Poole. I didn't see a lot, but today in researching the site, I did a name search and checked out the photos. I found my grandfather, my great-grandparents, and my uncles. I have yet to see a photo of my mom, however. I'll keep looking.

Before my mother passed away, she compiled a family photo and history album. I have several photographs of my family going back generations. I think I'll contact the person who runs the Facebook page to see if he'd like them.


This is a photo of my great-grandparents and their steam engine car. How cool would that be to see that thing run?

Very cool.

I love seeing photos of the people of that noble valley. I don't know them, but I know they were a tough bunch, willing to endure some of the most brutal winters, but lucky enough to live in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment