Monday, June 3, 2024

Sure, The Trains Are Out When The Satellite Flies Over, But When We Visited...Nope


The other day I was doing a little internet surfing (okay, I was at church...) when I came across an updated satellite photo of Northern Utah. Now, some might say Northern Utah may not have as many interesting things to see from several hundred miles in space. I am not one of them.

I think I'm not alone when looking at satellite photos. You, of course, zoom in on where you live, then you zoom out to check out other places of interest. I scrolled west and saw the rocket factory located just over the hill from us (pretty cool to say you live next to a place that builds rockets...). From there, it's a few short clicks and you come upon an historical site that had a huge impact on American history.

Promontory Point.

The place where east met west and the Transcontinental Railroad was born.

I've heard about the place all my life. We learned about it in school, in Utah history classes. It's one of the things--among many--Utahns are proud of. However, I've only visited the site once. After we moved north, my wife and I took drives to see the area. This was before the gas prices exploded. We drove out on a Sunday and looked around.

When we went, the famous train replicas, The Jupiter and the 119, were not on display. They were in their garages, or whatever you call the place where trains go when not training. 

When I checked out the satellite photo, there they were. You can see them in the above photo, almost touching. One day I think it would be fun to go to the recreation of the event that joined the nation. Maybe one day I will. 

Then, I'll see the trains for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment