Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Maybe Drone Flying Is Not For Me...


 Maybe. Like many people, drones--the ones individuals fly, not the military--have fascinated me. My first drone was this little thing...I think it cost fifty bucks more than a decade ago. I had a blast with it. I flew it a lot and beat it up pretty good. Because it was cheap the batteries began to expand and without batteries, it's junk.

So, when I had some extra cash, I bought a better drone. This one flew great, I had more control (less crashes...) and, again, I loved flying it. The main problem is the camera. It did take video and still photos, but the still photos were okay, and the video was terrible. I guess you get what you pay for.

I sort of gave up on the hobby for a few years, then at a yard sale I found a cheap drone. I bought it, I got it home, and found it didn't have a way to charge the batteries. I went back and asked if I could just get (or buy...) the charging cord. He offered another drone package (charger included...) for half price. I thought, great. With two I can have one for parts when it breaks down. The deal was done. I took them both home.

I never got either of them to work. The one that worked best burned out a motor (saw actual smoke...) so I took them both apart, re-soldered two motors and put it all back together again.

Finally, everything looked like it was going to work.

Once again, I couldn't get it to fly. The video is my last attempt...two crashes.

I should have just saved up and bought a good drone, one that had a camera that gave me what I wanted. Now, I don't know if I even want to do it. Maybe it wasn't the drones, but the operator. I don't think so because I was able to get older, less technological drones to fly.

I don't know how this story will end...I only know how it's gone so far.

Crash and burn.



No comments:

Post a Comment