Sunday, June 9, 2024

Give Thanks...For Change


 I wasn't supposed to lead the music in church today, but I was called upon, and so I did. I'm glad I did because I was able to lead the congregation in a new hymn, as indicated by the extra-long hymn number on a board which was not made for such long numbers.

The song's not new, of course. It's an old hymn, written by a sinner in the mid-1700s. 

If you're LDS and interested in the new hymns recently announced, hymn #1001 is Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. I thought I'd do a little research and I found a website that gave me some knowledge about the song's history, information I did not know. You can click: HERE to access the site.

If you're unfamiliar with the song, please click the link. In addition to some history, it also includes a link to the Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square performing an incredible rendition of the show. I urge you to click the video and turn up the volume. It's powerful, it's moving, it brings the spirt, and it includes close-ups of several people I know.

Today, I led a congregation singing the same song. It's one of my favorite songs and I'm so glad it's now included as an "official" LDS hymn. I'm thankful for the change to include it and other songs in the collection of song...some I know, some I don't. I look forward to learning and hearing them all.

With change, results can be positive or negative, depending on the results, or even more importantly, depending on how people react to those changes. Leading the music to this song was fun. I'm glad I was called upon this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment