Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Come On, LinkedIn...At Least Send Me People I May Remotely Know!


Years ago I created a LinkedIn account. I set it up and basically forgot about it. Since I'm not a constant user, I may be wrong in my summation of the program, but to me, LinkedIn is like Facebook for professionals. At one time I thought I ought to be on it, but as the years have passed, its usefulness for me hasn't presented itself.

I know there are many who use the program religiously and it must pay off for them, so I understand why people would reach out to increase their network numbers...

But really--it's gotten out of hand!

With the other social media platforms, I've gotten friend/follow requests from people I don't know. It happens all the time especially on Facebook. But many of the people who contact me on Facebook know some of the people I know. A lot of writers will connect with other writers, even if they don't know them personally. It's a calculated move and it makes sense.


To me when someone asked to be a follower on LinkedIn, you should at least know them, or have some connection to each other. I work for the government. I've had people want me to be in their LinkedIn networks who do similar work both inside and outside government. I usually decline/ignore those requests, but I can understand them. Lately, I'm getting LinkedIn network requests from people that are in no way associated with me, what I do, or have any people in common. It's not that I don't appreciate the request--it's just that without knowing these people, I can't understand why they'd want me in their network in the first place.

It's hard enough trying to figure out how I know someone on Facebook. I don't want to have to do it with another social media platform that--to me--is supposed to be more personal. Oh well. I guess I'll just keep declining/ignoring them as long as keep coming. Sorry Jeffery Higgins, James, Christina, Steve, Jeanelle, Patty, and Robert--I'm sure you're fascinating people, but I'm going to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment