Saturday, January 5, 2019

Spending New Years Day...At The Movies


Going to the movies is something neither me or my family does very often. In fact, it's possible the last movie I saw in the theater was in 2017. My son and I went to Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi and we might have seen it before it hit 2018. 

I know people say, "you MUST see this movie (or that movie, or the other movie...) in the theater with the great speakers and huge screen!" I usually ignore this. Movies in theaters are just something we've eliminated from our budget--it's just too much money to go see films all the time. And if you limit in-theater experiences for only the best movies, you're constantly judging which movies are worth it. Eventually, it's just easier to not go see films in the theater and just wait for them to show up at RedBox.

But, the kids wanted to go see a movie on New Years Day. We got a gift card for the local movieplex for Christmas so we decided to take the kids and do something special. The film they wanted to watch? Spider-Man in the Spider Verse. We'd heard great things about the film. The people who said those things did not lie. It was awesome!

Yesterday I spent time with some film people--people who make a living being connected to pop culture. They talked about the great films that came out in 2018. I saw some of them, just a little later than most. It's okay to wait...it makes the really good films that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment