Saturday, February 13, 2021

Sometimes I Wonder Why I Even Have A Phone...


 I missed the call. I miss a lot of calls. At 7:11am this morning I was still asleep and since I have my phone on silent mode, it just rang and rang. When I picked up my phone an hour or so later, that's when I noticed the call this morning came from Greece.

Thinking about it now, I'm pretty sure I would not have answered it, but since it originated from thousands of miles away (or, at lest, that's what my phone said, anyway...), I would have been intrigued.

I'm pretty sure it was a scam call. Though possible, I seriously doubt I know anyone living in Greece, or anyone who has a phone originating from Greece. In the off chance I do know someone from Greece or someone with a Grecian phone, I doubt I know them well enough to have them give me a call. Anyway, it's a moot point--they did not leave a voice-mail message so whomever it was, they did not feel it necessary to leave me a message.

As you can see from my call record, most of my calls are are spams. I did make two calls since Thursday, but the others...pure junk. I have not been a big cellphone user. I used a Tracfone for more than a decade because I just didn't make a lot of personal calls and it worked for me. I was either at the office (had an office phone...), or at home (used the landline...). Now, my office is at home and we ditched the landline. I do need my phone--I'm just not using it a lot.

In our modern world, a cellphone is as important as a car was to earlier generations, and I think it'll be even more important for generations to come. A phone connects us--for better or worse--to the world. We no longer have maps or books or calculators or watches or stereos or fax machines or cameras. We have phones, and they do it all.

They even allow spams calls from Greece to show up when we're asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment