Sunday, February 28, 2021

Give Thanks...A Modern Sabbath

 

Today, in the noon hour, our family was at the table having lunch. The scene made me laugh. In addition to eating, three of us were on a computer, an iPad, and a phone participating in three separate Sunday meetings happening at the same time.

It's a modern Sabbath.

It wasn't that long ago, as I sat in a third hour-long meeting in a beautiful church, I wondered how much longer the meeting would last. I didn't have that feeling every week, but it happened. I admit...three hours on a Sunday morning or afternoon can drag sometimes, not to mention arriving early or staying late for choir practice.

Oh, to be able to do that again.

Now, Sundays consist of getting up and logging on. We watch the first meeting, then a couple of hours later, another meeting is scheduled. Thanks to the modern miracle of technology, we can participate. In the second meeting, it's interactive. We can contribute, ask and answer questions. For that, I'm grateful. It is truly amazing that I can watch on my TV a broadcast of a meeting taking place blocks from us. I'm pretty sure had this technology been available when I was growing up (or even the last couple of years...), I may have chosen staying at home over getting dressed up and driving to the building.

We recently moved. One of the challenges when one moves is getting to know the neighbors. In the state where I live, there's a high percentage of LDS people so most of the neighbors are LDS. Church is were we get to know each other, where we spend time together, where we learn about them and they learn about us. Now, that's not happening. We moved into a community where people have lived for years, families have raised kids and stayed. Distance worshiping makes all that much more difficult.

I'm guessing the cameras and the broadcasts will continue even after the major threat has passed. Some people are unable to attend meetings for whatever reason and I think they will be able to attend virtually. I hope so, anyway. But for the rest of us, I think I prefer going back, sitting in the pews, watching the speakers in person, singing as a group, worshiping as a family. Even though I am thankful for our modern Sabbath day, I want to go back. Hopefully, that takes place soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment