Sunday, February 14, 2021

Give Thanks...A Valentine


 I don't know where I saw the above meme, so I apologize that I cannot give proper credit where credit is due. February is the time of year when we see a smattering of Valentine's Day memes, some heart-felt, some sappy, some sarcastic, and many hilarious. It's up to you to consider which of these is the above picture.

But, when you strip away all the candy, the flowers, the cards, the special meals and gifts, there's only two people who love each other, or should, in any case. It's Sunday, a day I usually try and comment on something for which I am thankful. Today I give thanks for my wife.

Having eclipsed the half-century mark, I've gone back and forth when it comes to Valentine's Day. I've hated, welcomed it, belittled it, honored it, and accepted it. For the past decade or so, I've acknowledged it. We don't do anything extravagant for the day. Like all special days that societal norms dictate we spend money on these days, we participate, but within limits.

Since I'm not a woman, I cannot with authority say the sayings on the candy hearts in the above picture are accurate or not. It's a funny little reflection on what one person thought about men and women. I hope wherever you are, you've had a good day. And if you happened to eat some delicious chocolate or smelled a beautiful flower, so much the better.

I am thankful that a woman decided to spend her life with me, a woman who may or may not have said any one of the above candy heart quotes to me or to others. And if she did, I'm completely okay with her doing so. Because, all things considered, remaining together is the most important thing. Happy Valentine's Day to one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment