Monday, February 15, 2021

How Did We Honor America's Presidents, Past And Present? Why...By Buying Furniture, Of Course


 It wasn't the plan to go furniture shopping today--it just worked out that way. We had appointments south and we thought we'd check out some furniture on our way out of town. Turns out, we found a couch and chair we feel will work well in our front room so be bought it.

No, we didn't mean to honor America's presidents by purchasing furniture--it just worked out that way.

Growing up, I remember two competing furniture companies in our area vying for everyone's business. The years have strengthened one (RC Willey) and eliminated the other (Granite Furniture). Oh, and I remember the ads...if I were an alien visiting from another planet, I would think that Americans could not celebrate a holiday without visiting a furniture store to pick up a dining room set, a new mattress, a big screen TV (to watch the latest major sporting event...), or a major appliance. 


Personally, I've never thought about furniture much. In my childhood home, we had the same furniture for years, decades even. As long as it was comfortable, I didn't pay much attention. We had a large sofa system, a green and white thing we lovingly called the "Sofa System of Love," more for alliteration fun than a historical description of the couch. When I moved out in college, we unloaded the sofa system at the same time and moved it into the house where I lived. That couch had been in my mom's house from the early 1970s to the late 1980s. A good investment.

I have no idea how well our new couch and chair will last. Maybe decades, hopefully so. Who knows? It might someday be moved into one of our children's homes or basements. Of course, time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment