Friday, February 26, 2021

I Shouldn't Be So Judgmental...Of Typos


 I posted a picture last week of a sign on a motel. It was missing a letter and that struck me as funny. I snapped a couple of pictures and posted one, complete with a clever (to me...) little caption. 

Maybe I shouldn't have.

I mean, it's really just a typo, except of it being a misspelled word on a page, it's an incomplete word on a sign. Sort of the same thing.

I write a blog post every day. I've published a couple of books and have several short stories out there for all to see. And I'm prone to typos. There may even be typos in this post when it's all said and done. 

Typos are just mistakes. Some have bigger impact than others, of course. There's knock on self-published stories, because they--usually--aren't professionally edited or proofed, and because of that, those in the "approved" publishing world look down on them, and not just the books, but the authors as well. However, I have found typos on books published by established houses before. No one's really immunized from it, or very few, anyway.

I guess it's like taking the beam out of my own eye before I start pointing out the typos in other people's eyes...

Or motel signs that elcome you.

No comments:

Post a Comment