Sunday, January 14, 2024

Give Thanks...For Living In A Winter Wonderland


 The snow caused problems, canceled church (for us...), and took a lot of man hours to clear.

It's also beautiful.

That's undeniable.

Last year in our area we had a record-breaking winter. I don't know what specific records were broken, but I do know that I shoveled/moved more snow last winter than I have in any other winter my entire life. It was tough on us, but we survived. This year, instead of being responsible for eighteen driveways, sidewalks, and approaches, we've only ours.

So thankful.

This year brought me a new perspective. In December our family took a vacation to Southern California. We had a great time. On one of our last days, we drove up to Solvang, a little town north of Ventura that's known for having a little slice of Denmark within its borders. We walked around, talked to some of the locals. At one store, they asked where we were from and the saleslady said we must be enjoying the warm California weather.

It got me thinking. Was I? Was I glad I was in California where it was 80˚ on the beach the day before, or in Utah where it was close to freezing? I seriously hadn't thought about it. I wonder if I would like living in a world without seasons. Because of that trip, I've considered this question a lot this winter.

This morning I spent an hour clearing the eight to ten inches of snow from our driveway and not eighteen. I'm thankful it was only one. Tonight I stepped outside and took a few pictures of the neighborhood. It was quiet, the only stillness that exists after a snowstorm. Lights from homes and cars reflected off the cloud cover above. I'm thankful for the snow, and I hope that never changes. I'm thankful for the home that keeps the snow outside. I'm thankful to be able to see and enjoy the beauty that only exists in winter, with snow on the ground. I'm thankful we live in a winter wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment