Thursday, January 25, 2024

Sometimes...You Have To Break Out The Bass


 Sometimes...

Do you have something around the house that, if you were a logically thinking person, you'd get rid of it--and not only that, you'd have gotten rid of it years ago?

 Yeah, I've got a couple of those things around the house. They seem to accumulate the older I get. More years...more stuff. It's the way of things. There's one thing...a big wood and plastic and metal and electronic insides...that I don't think I'll ever get rid of. My Gibson RD Artist Bass.

It's beautiful.

Apparently, this opinion was not widely shared at the time this particular guitar was produced. It's a 1978 model and RD Artist line went from 1977 to 1979. Bass players did not appreciate the synthesizer/guitar Frankenstein-ian bass. However, as the years passed these guitars have become sought-after items. I could unload it at anytime, but I don't think I will.

The other day I opened the case and released the bass from its deep blue plush surroundings and played it a bit. It was fun. I was never really good, but it was fun to just play. Sometimes you have to break out the bass.

No, I'll most likely never be in another rock band, or take place in another recording session, or wrap the bass in plaid and lip sync Saturday Night from the Bay City Rollers at the Union Building on the University of Utah campus and come in 2nd in the Lip Sync contest--only coming in second because we tied with a group that actually rehearsed their act, but we tied because one judge gave us an 11 of 10 points and therefore, we came in 2nd. No, sadly, those days are most likely gone forever.

Then again, who knows...?

No comments:

Post a Comment