Wednesday, January 10, 2024

It Was A Funny Thought...One I Almost Considered


 My son and I spent an hour or so the week before Christmas driving around the neighborhood delivering plates of Christmas treats. If they were home, we'd hand them over. If they were not, we'd leave the plates on front porches.

Christmas this year was different for our family. Two weeks before the big holiday, we spent a week visiting family out of state. It threw a lot of our patterns off. That was something I didn't think would happen. When it came time to assemble the plate of treats, Let's just say, our presentation wasn't as plentiful as it has been in years past.

Still, I was okay with it. We were trying to spread a little (emphasis on "little"...) Christmas cheer for some neighbors.

Perhaps it was because of the night we chose or that we were a little late in the process, but we found more people not home than were. At one of the last stops, I went to the front door, rang the doorbell, no one came, so I put our plate on the bench beside the door. That's when I saw another plate of yummy treats. Only this one was larger and had more goodies and ours did. It made ours look sort of skimpy by comparison.

That's when a thought came to my mind. I actually grinned because I thought it was funny. What if I took our Christmas card from under our plate and swapped it with the card already under the bigger plate? You can see why I smiled. 

Great idea.

Of course, I didn't do it. I have no idea who left the other plate. Maybe it was listed on the card, "Merry Christmas from The Holbrooks" or something like that. Most likely I wouldn't find out who would end up getting credit for the small plate had I made the switch.

I snapped a quick picture then used that picture as my Pic Of The Day with a snarky little comment. 

As I'm writing this post, a thought has come to me. If I'm not mistaken, our neighbor has one of those video doorbells. If that's true, then I'll bet I was videotaped putting down the plate, and if that's the case, it would have caught me making the switch. Then my little "joke" would have backfired big time. 

Good thing I didn't really consider doing it. Boy, I'd have egg (or Christmas treats...) on my face for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment