Saturday, January 27, 2024

Yesterday...I Was One Of "The Waiting"


I had time to kill yesterday morning...

Apparently, I was not the only one.

I became a member of what I call, "The Waiting."

If you're wondering what "The Waiting" is, I see it this way. The Waiting are any group of people waiting outside an establishment until the doors of that establishment open. There used to be many Waiting groups on Black Friday when the only real way of scoring great deals was to go to the store, joint The Waiting, then rush in and grab the good stuff before others have a chance to get theirs.

Groups of The Waiting have dwindled in recent years. I don't usually need to be at businesses before they open anymore, so I haven't seen a lot of The Waiting groups. There is one place, however, that The Waiting seems to show up everyday...

Thrift stores.

Or, a certain chain of thrift stores found in the Intermountain West. They're called Deseret Industries, or D.I. for short. They're run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and, as thrift stores go, they're pretty good. They're clean (for the most part...) and have a good selection (for the most part...). Because they're successful, they seem to get all the excellent donations. 

After all, donations are key to a successful thrift store--part of the reason, anyway. 

Because the stores are clean and well-stocked, it attracts both the collector and those a little short on cash. Yesterday I pulled up to the store about ten minutes early. A few members of The Waiting were already doing their part. As the seconds ticked down, more and more people parked and got out of their cars. I watched The Waiting grow in numbers. 

Soon, I joined them. 

Soon after that, we were The Waiting no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment