Tuesday, March 27, 2018

How To Get Cast In Community Theater...A Few Suggestions


A friend asked me yesterday for some advice. He wants to start doing theater again. He attended a couple of auditions and was not picked. Granted, he swung for the fences and tried out for two shows I don't think I would have made. Not that I'm the greatest actor, but I've been doing community theater shows for almost twenty years.

During that time, I've learned a thing or two.

I started answering his questions and I realized I began rambling on and on. Turns out I had more advice than I thought I did. I decided to put down those ideas in this blog post, just in case anyone else might have the same questions.

Of course, these are my own opinions based on my experiences. They are in no way definite or exclusive...just how I see things.

I started off with this:

I would try for a show at one of the local theaters that needs men. Shows like 1776, or Oklahoma, or something with a big cast. The best way to help yourself is the way you handle yourself once you’re in a show. I know it doesn’t help much to say “first, get in a show, then you can really help yourself.” It’s just that once you’re in a show, you can do the little things directors and theaters love, like show up on time and always work hard.

Those two things go a LONG way to making sure you can do shows in the future.

The “big cast that needs men” is a great way to get in the door
Centerpoint is a good place to go. There’s a smaller theater in Farmington/Kaysville called Hope Box. I’ve never done a show there, but I know many who have and they have enjoyed that theater experience.

There’s also a theater in Ogden and a couple more in SLC that I’ve heard of. The theater community isn’t really that big--everyone gets to know everyone else and what you want to do is get a reputation as being dependable and hard working. If the people who choose know this about you, or have heard this about you, they’ll put you in shows.

But I think [getting involved in community theater] is a good thing to get into. On a whole, there are good people involved who like to so something than just stay home and play video games. And I do know they need guys because I’ve been asked to be in shows when people drop out or they didn’t get enough fill a cast. And they do that because they know what they’re going to get. That’s a few ideas I have about how to get in shows. Basically, work your butt off once you get in and keep trying until you do get in a show.


He then asked about trying for a lead role or being in the ensemble. Here's my response:

I think it’s okay to say you’d like to be considered for a lead role. You want to be confident in an audition. Of course, they’re going to look at you with more scrutiny. And I think Centerpoint gets leads that can be leads anywhere (Hale, Pioneer Memorial). I usually write “Any Part” on the paperwork. They are looking for something for various parts and you might fit into those. Actually, being an ensemble member is a great way to exceed their expectations and make yourself look better by comparison than some of the other ensemble people who just want to have fun with their friends.

Sorry--I’m rambling, but I’ve been doing shows for almost 20 years. Even though you might not get leads right away, starting small can lead to getting the good parts.


It’s like a club and you’re on the outside wanting to be part of the club. And, in my opinion, the way you act, the things you say, the way you treat other people (respect/just being a good guy) like fellow cast members, directors, anyone associated with the theater, does more to help you get in shows than how you are on stage. It’s community theater and you’re not getting paid so if you treat it like a job and respect it, you’ll get in show after show. Because if they know you act that way and they then find out if you can act/dance/sing, you’ll get the bigger parts.
Like I said, these are just some things that raced around in my mind yesterday. Maybe they'll help you if you're trying to get in a show. And if so, I hope they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment