Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Yup...I'd Probably Never Make It Out Of An Escape Room Alive


 My sister got me an awesome gift for Christmas this year. It's marketed as an "Escape Room In A Box."

If that's true...I'm in trouble.

Basically, the Camelot Box has several mini-puzzles you must figure out to get the prize. I figured out the first one--yay. Feeling confident, I moved on to the next. The first puzzle is to figure out how to remove the top of the box. Then, there's a drawing that's a major hint for the next puzzle underneath. I started strong, but after a while (and sore fingers from moving the wooden pieces around...), I put down the box. 

After a short break, I picked it up again and gave it another try. Still no luck. I eventually grabbed the paperwork that came with the box and pulled up the website. There was one little problem...

The instructions weren't there. Don't know if it's a website problem or not. Never fear--I knew I could find the answers. I mean, that's why YouTube was invented. A few clicks later, I was watching a video.

Still, I tried not to go "all in" and watch the whole thing. I'd start the video, get an idea of what to do next, then turn it off and try it on my own. I did okay for a while, but I found myself returning to the video.

Five of the six sides of the box had puzzles. The other side had a key to help. The key was too challenging for me so I skipped it.

Eventually, I conquered the task and gained the prize.

The whole experience got me thinking about escape rooms. I can definitely see the draw and I know many love doing them. I just don't think I'd be good at them. My mind doesn't think that way, and if the box is any indication, looks like my mind doesn't work for other things, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment