Saturday, December 23, 2023

Yet Another Device To Tell Time...Or The Lack Thereof


 Yup, Hobby Lobby. If you're ever looking for cute holiday tchotchkes, there's no better store than Hobby Lobby, especially for Christmas decor. Last month my wife and I found a Christmas countdown calendar. It has 24 days listed and a snowflake that you roll from one day to the next.

Precious.

It was kind of cool--before we even took it out of the packaging, you could hold one end high and the other low and the snowflake would roll along the track. Of course, it might still do that outside the packaging, but I don't want to risk it. I'm glad we have it--especially this year. It's as if December never happened...it flew by so fast.

Growing up we had something similar, only it was made of plastic--had to be from the 60s. Think of a hanging a yardstick on the wall, except instead of inches it had days, and to count down the days, there was square that you physically moved down the plastic yardstick to represent which day it was and how many you have left. It was sort of like a belt buckle. 

It was ugly as sin.

Boy, I wish I had that ugly plastic belt buckle-countdown thing now. I'm sure it got tossed when we sold my mother's house after her passing. It may have even been thrown away before she passed...I'm not sure. I wish I had it now because it would remind me of my youth, of the house, of the kitchen where we hung it each Christmas, and especially of my mom.

We like our newest Christmas edition. Since it is its first year, I have no idea if it will be come an endearing heirloom, something the kids will remember when they see it years from now (God willing...), or if it's something they'd even want for their own home and their own memories.

As with all things, time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment