Monday, December 11, 2023

MM Enzo...A Famous Ferrari


 Back in the day, when you wanted to know more about stuff, magazines were a great place to go. To catch the latest news about sports, photography, rock bands, teen idols, you hung out at the magazine counter and hoped the store owner didn't get upset at kids reading the magazines for free instead of paying good money for the knowledge contained therein.

But, if you're a fan, there were no cooler magazines than the ones that showcased cars.

Car magazines were king.

The rarer the cars, the more interesting the magazines were. I remember checking them out on occasion. The American cars were sweet--even back then I had an affinity for VWs. Then there were the exotics...Porsches, Lamborghinis, Maseratis, and, of course, Ferraris. I don't know much about sports cars in general or Ferraris specifically. But I do know, when we pulled up to the Chevron in Fillmore, Utah, the car in front of us was special.

I just didn't know how special it was.

I got out and put gas in our car. The Enzo driver was doing the same. I casually asked if I could take a picture of his car. 

"You mind if I take some pictures?"

"Of course," he said. "I'd be surprised if you didn't."

It was then the driver told me that this wasn't just any Enzo. It had a history. Yes, there were less than five hundred of these cars ever made, but this one, the MM Enzo was unlike all the others.

I asked what he meant by that and he said I should do an internet search--just enter "MM Enzo" into the search and I'd find out about that car. That's just what I did. The MM stands for Most Miles. This car has over 100k miles, which is unbelievable, but it also holds a land speed record and was completely rebuilt following a crash.

If you're interested in reading the specifics (and I do recommend checking it out...), just do what I did--enter "MM Enzo into the search. There are several stories and if you check Images, you can check the the crash photos.

I thought, as I heard it drive away (sweet, sweet sound...), how odd it was we showed up at that spot at that exact time. Had we left five minutes earlier, or decided to stop for gas a city before or after, I'd have missed it. Funny how life works sometimes.



No comments:

Post a Comment