Friday, December 1, 2023

I Mean, Come On! Have You Seen The Show...?


  I first noticed the merchandise a few months ago. Items with the distinctive "Y" logo. The products had the world "Yellowstone" on them and I wasn't sure if it was associated with the television series of the same name. As more and more items showed up with the Yellowstone name and logo, it was obvious they were using the show to push product.

There was a time when I studied the field of marketing and advertising hoping it would be my career. That never materialized, but I remember some of the theories. The Yellowstone cross-marking makes sense. You push both brands at the same time. I am in no means an expert on marketing and/or advertising. Nor am I well-versed on the show, Yellowstone. I've watched only a few episodes, but I learned a lot in watching those episodes.

 I learned, it's a violent show. It doesn't pull its punches and if given the opportunity to show you something instead of just implying it, they show it. It's gritty, dark, unapologetically so.

So, why in the world are they using the show to sell toys to children?

After I realized the products were using the show's brand, I took notice. I spotted more and more products not aimed aimed at adults. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to parent, but personally, I would not want any child that uses the Dutton Ranch Mustang 6V Plush Ride-On to actually watch the show...but maybe that's just me.

Even a basic understanding of sales and marketing tells me that if a child's toy doesn't appeal to the adult--the purchaser--it will fail. In this, I see the reasoning behind the campaign.

Just never thought I'd see it.

Like selling Green Slime with an Exorcist tie-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment