Saturday, April 29, 2023

Behold...The Northern Lights!


 If you're looking at this photo and expecting to see another picture of the beautiful Northern Lights that made a rare appearance over Utah last week, well...this is what you get. Technically, the shot was taken north of our house and the photo includes lights.

The picture is my contribution to the photo library that is "Pictures of Utah's Northern Lights."

My streak continues.

I have a streak of  unsuccessful attempts in catching celestial events with my camera. I've tried to take pictures of lunar eclipses, comets, what have you. Each time, I come up empty because of cloud cover or the camera didn't pick it up. I heard that the Northern Lights were going to be visible from where we lived last week so after it got dark, we went outside and looked north.

Nothing. 

Bummer.

I brought out my Nikon and set the shot for a long exposure. This is what I got. Yes, I was bummed that I didn't get to see the Northern Lights. The fact that I didn't catch it on camera is not a big deal. If I had seen the lights, photographing them would be a distant second.

I remember when I was little, we were visiting my family in Driggs, Idaho. We all gathered outside because they said we should be able to see the Northern Lights. We went outside and looked north. I don't remember if the were there, but I didn't see them. I'd ask my family if they saw anything, but I don't believe anyone would remember. 

I also lived in Northern Europe for two years and I didn't see them, either. I figure one day I'm going to see them for myself...

Last week was not that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment