Tuesday, April 25, 2023

It May Be A Little Thing...But It's HUGE For Me


 Someone I know on social media posted a link to a short story fiction contest. I clicked on it and didn't think much about it. A few days later, I clicked on the still-open webpage...

Then, I thought about it more.

As writing goes, I've been in a major funk, a multiple month funk, even a multiple year funk. It's something I hate to admit, but it is what it is. I just couldn't bring myself to even open a writing program on my computer, let alone work on anything.

Something happened a few weeks ago. I just got sick of not writing. I opened a story I finished two years ago--finished the first draft, anyways. I started some basic edits, one chapter, then another. I've tried to do three or four chapters a week. It should be done with that round in a month or two. It's not much, but it was a start.

I think doing that little bit of editing made me save information on the short story. And because I saved the information, last week I sat down after writing my blog post and cranked out a 4k short story. It's not perfect, it's not finished, but it's a real thing. It's something that I'll submit and hope for the best.

Even if my story's not chosen, even if I get no feedback, I've already conquered a huge hurdle. I've written something. I felt so good, I actually began another short story for another contest that also ends April 30th. I don't know if I'm going to finish that story, but I'm going to try.

I remember a prolific writer tell a crowd of fans and fellow writers that he doesn't believe in writer's block. He says it is basically laziness disguised as an excuse. He's right, of course. I had no one to blame for my lack of production but myself. And when you're a writer who is not writing, the shame can compound upon itself to make matters even worse. 

Since I'm not a full-time author, if I write or don't write, I won't lose the house or fail to make a payment. In some ways, that's good, but in other ways, that lack of motivation makes a difference. I don't know how long this burst of writing will last. I'm enjoying it as long as it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment