Sunday, December 3, 2023

Give Thanks...For Friends


 A week ago and a day, me and tens of thousands of other fans gathered to enjoy a game of college football. Parents attended with their children, couples both married and not came on dates. Older couples--season ticket holders for generations--sat and watched the game together. 

Me? I sat with friends.

Friends I've known them longer than I haven't known them.

There was a time when the three of us sat in a building a few blocks north of the stadium, a building originally constructed for religious studies...to add a balanced education to an already-full educational plate. Thirty years ago, we gathered at noon and rehearsed for an hour, every weekday, week after week, month after month, year after year. We learned songs, studied under the tutelage of Dr. Edgar Thompson, and created life-long friendships.

As we walked to the game (after scoring an awesome free parking spot...), we actually passed the West Institute building where we rehearsed. My friend recalled when it all began. I sat waiting for a class to begin, Professor Vrooman's econ class--the one with Scott Mitchell as a fellow student--when Bob saw me sitting alone. He joined me and said that he was not enrolled in that class, but hoped to add it, because he got into an a'cappella choir and they were going on tour to England at the end of the year. I said I'd like to do that. Bob said to show up to class--they were still looking for singers.

I went, I auditioned, Dr. Thompson added me to his group and that chance meeting in that freshman class ended up changing my life.

That's what friends do. They change your life. Because of friends and the decisions made with them, because of them, lives are changed. When I say I'm eternally thankful for my friends, that's not hyperbole...it's the truth. 

We sat and watched the game clock tick down to 00:00, cracking jokes and enjoying the company. To cap the night, the home team won, but even if they hadn't, spending time with friends--win or lose--is always worth it. I'm thankful for friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment