Tuesday, December 12, 2023

The Selfie Generation...


 Since we don't travel a lot, I noticed some things on our most recent trip. There were the obvious differences between California and Utah (some similarities as well like a lot of space where no one lives...). One day, we loaded up the van and headed to Universal Studios, Hollywood. If you've been you understand it's a place many people enjoy. 

As did we.

The Harry Potter land was amazing. I've seen pictures, and I know it's not Universal Studios Florida, but I was impressed. Seeing Hogwarts atop a mountain looked spectacular. So much so, I snapped a few pictures. Felt I had to.

I noticed many people getting selfies with that incredible backdrop behind. While we were there, our group took several selfies, both as a group and as smaller groups, and we went about our day at the park.

While my wife and I waited for the kids to get off the rides and other attractions, I noticed people were taking a lot of selfies. As I explained earlier, that's not unusual, but what was unusual is they were taking selfies when it didn't look like the selfie celebrated anything special. I know I'm older and not up on the "hippest trends," but I thought selfies were intended to remember a special moment...

Not for a moment that happens all the time, regular walking around, standing in front of a pole with no discernible markings, looking at the sky. And it wasn't just a singular person doing this. It seemed so strange to me...all these people walking around the park taking pictures of themselves that seemed to be preserving pretty basic historical things.

Weird.

Maybe it's just a California thing, or not. Maybe we need to get out more...

Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment