Saturday, December 16, 2023

Holden, Utah...Facts


 Holden, Utah.

Established in 1855 by Mormon Pioneers and originally called Cedar Springs (a name I quite like...) named after the springs located in town. It was later renamed Buttermilk Fort (a name I quite dislike...) because travelers were urged to enjoy a nice glass of buttermilk as they traveled through town. In 1864 the town settled on the name Holden after a Elijah Holden, a Mormon Battalion member and one of the first settlers. Elijah passed away in 1858 from a snowstorm. Holden has an current estimated population of under 500 people.

The above information was gathered from Wikipedia. I'm assuming it's all true, but there's always a chance I could be getting incorrect information especially since I did not donate the requested $2.75 to Wikipedia.

Never donated...probably never will.

The exit to reach Holden is on Interstate 15 at mile marker 174, which means it's 174 miles from the Utah/Nevada border, going north, of course. It's also 226 miles from the Utah/Idaho border (got that from Wikipedia, too and, no--I did not donate...). It's not quite in the middle of the state, but close.

I've never driven through Holden, only passed by at or around the posted interstate speed limit east of the city. A few years ago, I most likely couldn't relate to those who live in small town Utah, even though where we live now has 20 times the population of Holden. I think, however, I can guess the type of people who live there. They're hard-working. They're honest, for the most part. They're caring and giving and humble. 

If anyone in Holden ever reads this, it would be interesting to see if they concur with my estimation of a typical Holden resident.

A week ago today, my family drove north (and a little east...) on I-15 on our way home. We stopped at the Holden exit to change drivers. I glanced southwest and snapped a few pictures. It's not the greatest picture I've ever taken, but I like it. 

Holden, Utah is also a great place to take a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment