Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Happened Upon "A Very Brady Christmas" The Other Day...


 For those of a certain age, just the mention of The Brady Bunch TV show brings back not only memories, but a glimpse of how a generation of children was raised.

It's true. 

The success of the show can be based on many things, but one thing stands out...timing. The show was created in a day when there existed only three channels, four if you count PBS. Because there were only three channels and because kids had access to TV viewing after the school while their parents were working, the networks had to find something to put on the air. I think every kid my age had seen every episode of Gilligan's Island and The Brady Bunch multiple times.

There were other shows, Lost In Space, Wild Wild West, but the island the the bunch were the biggies.

It's strange, I never saw The Brady Bunch when it was originally aired at night. Never. Just as well. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.

The other night I came across the showing of A Very Brady Christmas playing on a local channel. I had to watch, if only for a little bit. It brought back the memories. 

When I watched, it struck me. The actors playing the Brady parents at the time A Very Brady Christmas was filmed were younger than I am now. It's always weird to realize that someone who has always appears old on film are younger than you are.

I did not watch the entire show. Oh, I've seen it before. I knew what was going to happen. And, I suppose, if I had never seen it before, I probably could have guessed what would happen. 

In all these years, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the original episodes...

It might be too much for me to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment