Saturday, December 30, 2023

Golfing On New Years Eve...Eve


 Golf.

Some say it's an addiction, others a religion, and still others call it witchcraft.

I think they're all right.

And to prove my point, I give you exhibit A...the pictures included in this post. It's New Years Eve Eve, the day before the last day of the calendar year and our local golf course had participants working on their game.

Need more proof? We live in a cold-winter state. Normally, we would have some measurable snow on the ground--not always, but sometimes--which would make golfing here a bit difficult. Because we live in a place where people don't usually golf during the winter, we are subject to numerous advertisements from locations with warmer climes enticing golfers to drive a few hours south to enjoy year-around golfing in Arizona and Nevada (the fact they have legalized gambling I'm sure helps draw some people...). Earlier this month we drove through Southern Nevada and saw the greens fairways and palm trees surrounding the courses.

Call it Mecca for golfers...

Not THE Mecca, but you get my drift.

I am, in no way, a golfer, even though I have golfed and I liked it when I did. Back in college our university had a 7-hole course on campus. Don't look for it now, because the U of U's campus has eaten up all that open green spaces and filled it with buildings. Too bad...it was a fun, beautiful course. I was never all that good, especially on the drives, but the short game...that's where I did well.

I've yet to join the religion of golf. One day I might be converted, but only if I have a lot of time on my hands, and I mean a lot. I'd have to be retired, and golf would have to be more appealing than writing or photography or other hobbies (some would say other religions, and they'd be right...). 

I don't know how many people took advantage of today's warmer weather and lack of snow on our local course. If they don't mind golfing on the Sabbath, they can enjoy the course tomorrow, too. Plus, we're about as north in our state as you can go. I'm sure all those other courses south of us and hackers on them today as well.

Here's to the golfers! May their drives be straight and the putts precise.

No comments:

Post a Comment