Thursday, December 7, 2023

It's That Time Of Year Again...This Time, It's Not The Same


 Last weekend, we were hit with our first big snowstorm of the season. My definition of "big snowstorm" is any storm where the driveways need to be cleared of the white stuff. And if you need to clear them multiple times in quick succession, well, that's a really big storm.

We got that.

Last year was such a devastating winter as far as snowstorms were concerned. Last year (and the year before that...), my family was hired to shovel the driveways and sidewalks for eighteen homes in a senior living community. The first year we did it, we shoveled four times...

Four times.

Last year, I honestly cannot remember how many times we shoveled because it was SO much. The first year, we had five shovelers. Last year...three. At the end of the snow season last year we made the decision to not continue to side gig. It was a tough decision because it was good money, but we just couldn't do it. It was too difficult on us physically. This year, had we continued, we'd be down to only two shovelers--myself and my wife--and there would be several new homes to clear.

When the show began falling last week, I honestly got twitchy. I hated snow so much that those old feelings returned. Thankfully, we only had to remove the snow from our own driveway and to clear my mother-in-law's driveway when the new snow removal service doesn't clear it.

So much better!

Before last winter, I actually loved it when it snowed. I love the way the landscape looks after a good snowstorm. I'm hoping for that love to return. 

No comments:

Post a Comment