Monday, December 4, 2023

I May Not Know Who They Are...But I Now Know What Plane They're On


 A few days ago, I stood in my backyard and looked skyward. A lone place flew overhead. We're apparently not in a busy flyover area where we live...not may planes in the sky, at least, that I can see. As it soared overhead I thought...

"Ever wonder where they're going?"

I took a picture and posted it on social media. A few people even responded saying when they see a plane, they go check out the flight numbers to get more information. Low and behold, I spotted an app that doesn't tell me who's on the planes, but it does tell anyone a lot about the flight.

Pretty remarkable.

Also, kind of disconcerning.

The app was free for me, but now it's $38--no way I'm paying that much for an app. I checked it out. You open the app and point your camera to the sky. Several plane icons then apper. You click on the icon of a plane and it gives information, flight number, airline, origin, destination.

It's scary how much information is out there. I guess it's public information, but still. I did click on a flight that was not public so the information was hidden. There's that, I suppose. How much does it cost to hide that kind of information?

Yes, to quote Kip Napoleon, "I still love technology," it's great and it does amazingly wonderful things, but (and there's always a "but"...), as you fly hundreds of miles and hour thousands of miles above the earth, anyone with a pricy app and a cell phone can know things about you.

Makes you think...

No comments:

Post a Comment