Saturday, March 9, 2019

If A Picture's Worth A Thousand Words...What Story Can You See In This One?


Years ago, after graduate school, I found a a couple of blogs that held a weekly challenge. The challenge was to create a story using a picture (that they chose...) and the story must incorporate five randomly-generated words (that they, too, chose...). I wrote so many stories on those sites. 

Here were the rules:

1) Use the photo and five randomly-chosen words in your story.
2) Keep your word count 500 or less (or a few more words if they're needed...).
3) You have until next Tuesday night to link up your story.
4) Use the Blue Link to add your story at Leanne's, or Tena's websites--follow the instructions.
5) Have fun, don't stress, and let those creative juices flow!

I think I submitted stories to their sites for a couple of years. I had a lot of fun coming up with stories. Truth be told, the exercise gave me a way to write a blog post without me having to thing up something (sometimes the blog post ideas are a little tough to come up with when you write daily...). 

There used to be three or four women that hosted the challenge, then it went to two, and finally, they just stopped. We all sort of faded away, as did our words, and stories. I miss it. Of course, there's nothing stopping me from doing this myself. I even wrote a couple of stories after it all shut down using the same rules. But it wasn't the same.

Last week I went to lunch at an amazing restaurant. There were so many things to photograph there--I could have spent a full day at the restaurant just taking pictures. One shot in particular I especially liked and it reminded me of the weekly writing challenge I used to love so much.

So, I'm throwing it out there! The picture's above and the five randomly-chosen words are:

Parent
Candle
Playground
Headline
Riot

Great list!

If you want to play along, write a short flash fiction story and post the link of where we can all read it in the Comments section. We'll say the deadline is a week from today--500 word limit. I think I might get in on the action as well.

But not tonight.

I'm too tired.

Happy writing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment