Sunday, March 10, 2019

Oral Surgery...And The Effects Of AFV


I think most Americans have had oral surgery at some point in their lives. I did, my wife did, our oldest son had his wisdom teeth removed years ago.

Last week, even though it was only one tooth, it's was our youngest's turn to sit in the chair.

I was older when my wisdom teeth came out--in my late twenties. I can't remember if I was nervous about my surgery. It seemed pretty standard. Sure, there'd be some pain and recuperation time, but it would pass. Everyone seemed to survive the ordeal just fine.

There was one thing I didn't have to worry about, and that was having to deal with America's Favorite Home Videos, or AFV for short. How does AFV factor into this story?

Good question.

My son was a little nervous about the surgery. That's understandable. But I think he got more nervous when he put 2 and 2 together and realized that he has seen videos of people who had undergone oral surgeries. He's also seen their post-operation behavior after undergoing the procedure.

I think he was more nervous about how he'd look/act as we drove him home from the dentist's office than he was the surgery itself. Because our son's operation wasn't so invasive, he did not reach the semi-comatose state recorded and played for millions on AFV.

I have no idea if the reaction to the surgery would have been different had that show that's been on for decades had been canceled before my son became a fan. I'm sure he would have been nervous, but probably for other reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment