Monday, March 25, 2019

Discovering "Gilmore Girls"...Just A Couple Of Decades Late


We do live in amazing times. I've written that exact statement more than once on this blog post. Just about every aspect of our lives in this modern society is like nothing that's ever preceded it.

Case in point:

Entertainment.

Just log on to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu (and that's not counting the network or cable or networks...) and you'll see dozens and dozens of original content movies and series. Just like there's no time to read all the books in the library, there's no way to watch everything out there.

But back at the turn of the latest century, a person could probably watch every show out there--assuming they had a lot of VHS tapes to record everything. One show that premiered in 2000 was Gilmore Girls.

We just began watching it.

I had heard about the show, but it was something I didn't think I'd be interested in. Then I began to attending writing conventions and hanging out with geeks and nerds. Again, you'd think the show might not be something most geeks and nerds would watch.

Turns out, many do.

I remember hearing many authors talk specifically about the writing of the show and when writers I admire praise a show, I take notice. And they were right. Of course, good writing is made exponentially better with talented actors and Gilmore Girls hit a home run with their leads. We're only on the second season but it hasn't disappointed. The only thing I worry about is this--parents can get into trouble when they go out of their way to be "best friends" with their kids. I'm not saying you shouldn't be friends with your kids--I consider myself friends with my children, but you should be a parent first.

I don't know how this may affect future episodes and storylines. It may never come into play, but because of modern miracles, we get to burn through the entire series in a matter of weeks (maybe months...) as opposed to years.

We do live in amazing times.

No comments:

Post a Comment