Wednesday, March 6, 2019

That Moment You Learn...Your Friend...Is Gone


I had a job interview this afternoon. I still have my current position, but when something comes up that interest's you, you've got to take a chance. The interview occupied my mind for the past couple of days, as these things tend to do. I researched, thought about what I'd wear, how I'd answer various questions. I've done dozens of interviews during my career so I pretty much knew what to expect.

I arrived early and sat in the lobby. After speaking with the receptionist for a few minutes, all the preparation, the interview, the rehearsed answers flew from my mind.

I found out a friend of mine passed away.

We weren't close of late--it's been years since we last spoke. Janet and I began our careers within a few months of each other in the late 1990s. We worked in the same department--she was my lead and when she was promoted, I took over her job. Since then, we hopped from position to position, chatting whenever we'd see each other. I'd ask about her family and she mine. She stayed in the same building--I ended up working in different offices across the state. Her last position was on the same team I applied for today. If I were to be chosen for the job, I was looking forward to working with her again.

The position for which I applied doesn't come open very often. I casually asked the receptionist why the position was opening up now. "It may be because we had an employee pass away," she said.

I asked who it was--I still know some of the workers on the team.

"Janet passed away last year."

I was floored. It's like hearing news a high school friend--someone you used to hang out with back in the day, but grew apart--died. I looked around, wishing I were with our old gang, those of us who would go on walking breaks, have lunch together on the second floor. I wanted to speak with them, swap stories, commiserate, share. But there was no one. Those of us who worked together have all gone our own ways, raised families, experienced life...

And for some, experienced death.

I had to quickly push the awful news aside and focus on the interview. We'll know in a few days how I did, but as I left the room and walked passed the offices where she worked, my mind returned to my friend. And as time progresses, those of us remaining will experience the same shock again and again. To Janet, a smart funny, complex woman--good-bye. I'd have loved to sit down and have lunch with you again. I guess we'll have to do it another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment