Tuesday, March 12, 2019

So...I Didn't Get The Job


Last week I wrote a blog post explaining how I felt learning that a friend had passed away. In that post, I stated I had applied for a job--that's how I found out about my friend. The job was within the same company where I currently work--at no time was I without a job. So as to not leave anyone hanging, I did not get it.

Bummer.

I have applied for this particular job several times going back twenty years. When I first applied, interview, and was denied, boy...it hurt. I watched as others with less experience were hired and I was not. A million things go through your mind when that happens, at least, they do for me.

This time was different, though. Many times before I felt I had the job. I felt I did well enough in the interviews and I definitely had the experience. I also knew what they were looking for and, at least in my mind, I had everything they needed. This time around, I wasn't sure what they needed, even though I have years of experience--more than enough to cover whatever they're looking for.

Alas, it was not meant to be.

Now I take rejection better than I used to. I'm more mature than I once was and that helps me accept these things. When I found out who got the job, it made sense. The person had actually done the job for years before being re-assigned. I know how that feels--it's not fun. I was happy for the worker and even sent a congratulatory text--several, in fact--when I returned to work after hearing of the decision.

One thing I've tried to teach my children is that they have the choice when it comes to how they feel. I was bummed the day I heard the news, but the next morning, I felt a lot better. I knew I had done my best and a more qualified applicant got the job. I want my kids to know that they have the ability to decide how they're going to react to the good and bad things that will happen to them in this life. Life was never supposed to be easy, contrary to what politicians tell you. It's supposed to be hard at times. It's supposed to suck at times, and it's supposed to be wonderful at times. How we choose to view these events makes all the difference. 

No, I didn't get the job, but I'm okay with it. Sure, it would have been nice--I already knew where the raise in pay would be going. But since it's not meant to be, at least, this time around, I might as well look at all the good things.

Because there's so many of them out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment