Monday, March 18, 2019

Finding...A Really Old Book


I used to commute to work four times a week. Now I commute to a different room in my house. I used to take public transportation. Now I walk. The point is, write writing a daily blog, you draw from experiences near and far. Before they moved me home, I had the opportunity to talk to different people, take walks, see things.

Now that I'm home, some of my "inspiration" is gone.


But then we decided to clean out the basement, and "boom!" I've got a ton of things that interest me, and because they interest me, I find myself blogging about them. The latest item is a book, a really old book, a book I've known about, but never really looked at...

Until now.

We have a copy of the White House Cook Book. It's beat up, but I've seen worse. My mom's not around to ask about it. She kept it--don't know if she ever made any meals from the recipes found inside. The first picture in the book is of Ida Saxton McKinley. I looked for a publication date and didn't readily see it so I'm assuming one can date the book based on that picture.


Of course, the first thing you do when you come across something really old--you check its worth on ebay. It's hard to tell if its worth anything because of the condition. Our looks okay, on the outside, and I'm sure most--if not all--the pages are there, but it needs help. 

On ebay there were several copies for sale, but very few that had the same cover. Checking out its worth on Ebay doesn't necessarily mean we're going to part with it. More than likely--if we have the room--we'll find a place for it and one day (hopefully, a long time in the future...) one of our kids or even grandkids will come across the book.

Will they wonder why we kept it? Will they wonder if we ever used any recipes from it? And perhaps the most important question, will they immediately go to ebay (or whatever place one will access that far out into the future...) and see how much it's worth?

No comments:

Post a Comment