Saturday, March 2, 2019

You Know You're Getting Old When...


I supposed you could say the phrase, "You know you're getting old when..." in your twenties, thirties, forties...well, you get the picture. Realizing the fact you're getting older can happen anytime you see someone younger than you doing things you used to do.

Or seeing your friends's kids all grown up.

Wednesday night I participated in a small book fair (I blogged about it yesterday...). Most of the authors were set up and ready to go at the appointed time. But one came a little late, so I didn't get a chance to introduce myself to the newcomer. That had to wait for a break in the line of kids/parents making their way through the library.

"Hi...Scott Taylor." I extended my hand.

He did the same and told me who he was.

His last name sounded familiar.

All the other authors were local--two even had kids who attended the school we were in. The newbie--nope, he's from down south--even farther than Provo. I should have made the connection with those two clues. Lives south and has a familiar last name. But I didn't--not then.

Another break. This time the young man came over and bought one of my books--that's the best compliment you can give an author. He asked about the anthologies and how he'd like to know more about getting some of his stories published. I told him that I had writer friends who have had great success getting short stories published. I told him I connect with him on Facebook.

It's when I checked his name on FB that everything clicked--the name, where he lived. I asked him how he knew Keen and Sunny.

"Yeah, they're my parents. How do you know them?"

"From the mission," I said. I've known his parents since the mid-1980s.

And I knew I might have been the oldest person, not just in the room, but perhaps then entire building at that moment.

Personally, I try not to let my age get me down. I mean, it's going to happen--can't stop it. Plus, worrying about it and wishing you weren't getting older only compounds the problem.

And to Keen and Sunny--I only spent a few hours with your son, but he's total class. He treated everyone with respect, spoke to every interested child and parent that approached. He also made sure he talked to every author and even bought our books. Yes, he made me feel a little old, but that's okay when you've got such good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment