Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Not All Cameras Are The Same...At Least, To Me


In one of my boxes of stuff we're currently going through, I found a plastic bag containing digital cameras and digital camera accessories. 

It was like a mini-time capsule.

My mini-time capsule.

Each of the cameras was purchased at a thrift store. With the ever improving smartphone cameras out there, people were ditching their old point-and-shoot digital cameras. And many of those thrift store camera were high-end ones capable to taking amazing pictures and wonderful videos. When I bought these cameras I had a camera with a phone, but it wasn't as good as these digital cameras.

That changed a few years ago. I picked up an iPhone SE. At the time, it was one of the best phone cameras out there. Since then, cameras have improved a hundred fold. I remember fiddling with the cameras, and when I saw them again in the bag, I thought how cool it would be to see if those cameras could work again.

Then I thought...why?

Even though the cameras are still amazing, I can do more with my phone than those cameras could ever hope to do. It's not even close. 


Another item I found downstairs was a box that once held my non-digital SLR Olympus OM-10 camera. It's hard for me to explain just how important that camera was for me. It wasn't Olympus's top camera, but it was a good one, and I was able to take pictures like a pro.

I saw an Olympus OM-10 camera at the thrift store a few months ago. I think it cost ten bucks. I've rarely seen an item cost so little, but to me, was so valuable. 

I'm giving the cameras in the bag back to the thrift store. The OM-10 I'll probably keep forever. I may never take another picture with it, and even if I do, I might not be able to get the film developed, but then that particular camera is special. At least, it is to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment