Thursday, October 17, 2019

What I Saw And What I Photographed...Are Two Different Things


In life there are as many examples where a person took a photograph and the end result is no where near as amazing or spectacular as what the photographer saw. In some philosophical way, every picture is like that. When I see an incredible sunset, the picture can, in no way, capture the feeling I have while looking at the sunset. 

It's just the way it is.

The other night, I had the opportunity to photograph the planet Jupiter. I noticed an incredibly bright star close to the moon. I asked my son what planet it was--he correctly identified it as Jupiter. I remembered my friend Steve told me that his daughter could see Jupiter and its moons through a telescope no bigger than ours.


I thought I'd set it up and see what I could see.

What you see in my photograph is indeed Jupiter. And what you can't see is small lights surrounding Jupiter--Jupiter's moons.

I snapped a couple of pictures, but you can't see anything, other than a big white dot. On Twitter I saw a video of Jupiter and a couple of moons. I took a still shot and included it on this post. So, what I've done is show you a photograph of what I saw and what it really looks like.

Still, as I looked through my little telescope, even if I had taken a picture similar to the incredible one with the two moons, it wouldn't have been able to convey the feeling I had while watching it.

It's just the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment