Saturday, October 19, 2019

I Voted...Must Be That Time Of Year


Ballots for this year's election were sent out this week. Like in year's past, I opened the letter and expected to see name after name, resolution after resolution to choose from. Instead, there were six names on the ballot. I was to chose four.

It was kind of a letdown. 

I'm not going to say that I love to vote. I mean, I believe it's important, something I try and do as much as possible, even when I'm not fully informed on the candidates and issues. But, I don't look forward to it, don't count down the days to election day. Politics have become (and, perhaps have always been...) a bloodsport. It seems to make good people less so and corruption appears to be the name of the game.

Since there's opposition in all things, there's so much corruption because there's so much good that can come of it. It's not that voting and government is the answer the all problems--far from it, but it allows our society to function, to prevent chaos and anarchy. 

Still, I try not to allow the bad things to prevent me from participating. 

This year I voted for one (of two candidates...) two-year city council position, and I voted for three (out of four...) four-year city council positions. I admit, I should have studied more about the people running. Images of their accompanying political signs that are scattered all around town came to mind as I made my choices and sealed up the envelope. A quick trip to the post office and off it went.

Another year, another ballot. Next year's the big one, the one with local, state, and national choices to make, resolutions to consider, judges to...well, judge. Some love voting. They treat elections like a sporting event and 2020 will be an Olympic year in more way s than one. For me, it'll be another year to fill out the ballot and send it in. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment