Monday, October 14, 2019

Apparently...Social Media Believes I Have Bad Breath


It's no secret everything we search online, see online, or speak through our phones--online, or not--is stored, kept, accessible, retrievable. I've blogged about this before--how I mention something casually to a friend one day, and the next time I get online, there's an ad for that very thing.

Like I said, it's no secret.

Still, I find it interesting when I see this type of personal information hijacking first-hand. It happened again to me this morning.

Two days ago, I posted a subtly funny Pic of the Day picture. It contained a bag of goodies given out by the Walmart corporation for using their drive-up grocery service. We've used the service for years and we intend on continuing. From time to time, the good folks at Walmart have included a bag of stuff to celebrate a local holiday or other event. This week--Halloween.


Most of the contents were edible, but a few weren't. I thought it would be fun to arrange the edible things with something some have tried to consider edible, tried and failed and take a picture. This morning I received a Facebook comment about my picture, about mouthwash, about millennials, and their judgement (or lack there of...). I should say that I do not necessarily agree with this assessment of an entire generation. Just wanted you to know.

I responded to my friend's post, but not before noticing an ad for Listerine Ultra Clean Mouthwash directly under my friend's post. 

Coincidence?

I think not.

I closed the program. As I'm wont to do, I then opened Instagram. And what did I see? Another ad for Listerine. I decided to press my luck and see if there was an ad for Listerine on the third leg of the social media holy trinity, Twitter. I actually expected a Listerine ad to be on my Twitter feed, but it was not. Of course, the Instagram Listerine ad may have only been added after I saw the Facebook Listerine ad. Although, I'd like to think the Instagram Listerine ad was sitting there waiting for me to see it all along.

The more we look for this type of thing, the more we'll see it. Of course, there's always the distinct possibility that I actually need to use the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment