Friday, October 18, 2019

Dusk...The Best Time Of The Day To Take Pictures


When you understand all photography is based on one simple principle--the manipulation of light--it changes your perspective on every picture you see. A few years ago, my neighbor Nicole (who is an excellent photographer, by the way...) told me that taking pictures on an overcast day is a great time to get great shots. I thought the more sun/light, the better.

I was wrong, of course.

She was right.

These are not hard and fast rules, but, as a general rule, it works. I've found some of the best outdoor shots I've taken were when the light was not as bright as it could be. The other day I needed a picture for my Pic Of The Day. I wandered outside at dusk hoping to find something to shoot. 

Turns out, the lighting was almost perfect.


I snapped several pictures of colorful leaves and a few of the cat who seemed to enjoy being outside with me. I found a picture of red maple leaves which I particularly liked. I even shared it on Instagram, something I don't do very often.

If I took more photos, or make a living with my camera, I'd do more research on the subject. But, on a quiet fall afternoon in Utah this past week, I found the lighting at dusk to be almost perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment