Thursday, October 10, 2019

A Little History Book...


This past year I've been working in our basement. I mostly stay at my desk, which is my assignment, but at times I find myself looking around the room. The other day I spotted a red binder. I'd most likely checked out the binder before, but this time I took particular note.

It's an old book.

It's from the 1960s.


And it has information about our town, our church, and my dad.

There is information out there about our town--not a lot, but some. The same can be said for our church in our town. In fact, our little community is somewhat famous in our church because a worldwide church program began in our little town August 25, 1878, and is still going strong today.

But there's not a lot of information out there about my dad, so when I find something--even something small--for me, it's special.


The binder is a collection of notes, meetings, and other information from the Farmington Utah 1st Ward circa 1968 through the early 1970s. For a person living in this town since the early 1970s, many of the names were familiar. It was a notebook for the men's organization so I read about dads of some of my childhood friends. It also details how things have changed as far as the administrative functions of the church back then. For example, they raised money from the men to buy things the church needed. Fast forward five decades and things are done so differently today.


I dare say if this book were picked up by a casual observer, they might just toss it in the garbage. After all, almost all the men mentioned on the pages have died (including my father...). But, for others, the information means more.

And I'm one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment