Friday, December 16, 2016

A Simple Flip Of A Hat...


I've done a lot of shows over years and in many of them, I've been given hats as part of my various costumes. Now, I wear hats every day. I wear hats in the summer to avoid sunburns on the top of my head. I wear hats in winter to keep from freezing to death. And I wear hats in the spring and fall...just because.

So, there have been times when doing these shows when we have some down time. Some/most pull out their phones and do a little surfing/texting. I've been known to do that as well. But, give a guy a hat, and it just begs to be flipped.

Attempting a hat flip is sort of like standing atop a diving board and having everyone look at you before a big dive. It's not a lot of pressure, but there's some. Last week I was in the green room with a few from the cast and I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm not very good but I'm getting to the point where most of the time, the hat at least hits the top of my head. When I tried it a couple of times during intermission of one of our shows last week, a fellow cast member, Brian Hill took out his phone and began recording.

I tried once...failed.

I tried twice...failed.

I tried thrice...and did not fail.

A few clapped. Brian said, "I got it on video!" And he sent me the shot. It's short, but that's okay. He did catch the moment the hat floated down and landed squarely on the top of my head. 

Hats, at least the kind we wear in shows and the type men used to wear every day, are something I wish would make a return. I'd love to see men wearing fedoras, pork pie, bowlers, straw hats, Panamas, even top hats would be cool. I suppose the closest thing we have in our modern society would be a cowboy hat. I think trying to flip one of those would be a true test.

So, here's the flip. Thanks Brian for preserving the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment