Saturday, December 3, 2016

The Shoveled Path To Nowhere...


On the last day of my work week I had a little extra time before the bus came. So, I took a walk and I found something interesting. At least, I thought it was interesting. I called it "a shoveled path to nowhere," and should in no way be confused with "a bridge to nowhere."

Then again, maybe it should, even thought the comparison is very very thin.


The sidewalk is at the back of a parking lot at a complex of state government buildings. There's really not much there, so I thought it was weird to have a sidewalk back there, especially since there are high fences around the entire parking lot.

For that reason alone, I decided to check it out. Someone took time to shovel this path, or at least take care of the snow. I saw some undissolved ice melt next to the yellow patch at the start of the sidewalk. Someone was paid to clear it. The path made a hard right and went straight to a gate. I walked to the gate and noticed something--the gate was secured with not one, but two locks.


I suppose someone in the apartment complex next to the parking lot could have two keys--it's not out of the realm of possibility. But the fact that someone had cut the chainlink fence and a large piece of plywood appears to keep people from going through the gate, I doubt someone wants people to go through that particular passageway.

So, how is my shoveled path to nowhere like a bridge to nowhere? I guess it comes down to money. Someone was paid to make sure there was no snow on a sidewalk that led to a locked gate. Granted, it wasn't the millions we paid to build a bridge to an island in Alaska, but money is money and since the sidewalk is at a government facility, whoever cleared it was paid with taxpayer money, it's kind of the same thing.


Like I said, very very thin argument.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting thing to think about as I waited for the bus to arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment