Monday, December 26, 2016

We Wish You A Cthulhu Christmas...


There's a new kid in town and its name is Cthulhu. My friend Steve has somewhat of an affinity towards the mythical god so as my wife and I searched for Christmas gifts, I snapped a few pictures featuring Cthulhu and sent them over.

He never replied.

It's not that unusual, him not replying. Personally, I thought the games were great--sort of a way for those people--like Steve--to have a little fun and somewhat honor Cthulhu. Of course, I didn't buy the games--we've got the godless versions at home.


Cthulhu is big right now. Maybe he's always been big. I don't know, but I doubt his image would be used to push decade's old parlor games. Earlier in the year I was asked to include a short story in an anthology. I wrote about a Louisiana taxidermist who ran into a pod of Cthulhus (not quite sure if "pod" is an appropriate term for more than one Cthulhu gathered...). I'm about 1/3 through the entire collection. I haven't run into any other Cthulhu stories, more of a H.P. Lovecraft-style themed menagerie.

Now that this year's Christmas has passed, I wonder how many Cthulhu games are left lining the shelves of toy and department stores. Did they sell well? Will more be on the way? Will we be seeing "Are You Smarter Than A Cthulhu?" or "Cthulhu Chess," "Cthulhu Operation," (I'd hate to see what objects they'd pull out of there...) or "Cthulhu Clue" next year?

I guess time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment