Tuesday, December 27, 2016

So...Am I Off Book?


A few weeks ago I was asked to be in a show. I accepted knowing I'd have less time than normal to memorize all my lines. I made a little deal with myself--before I could go see the new Star Wars: Rogue One flick, I had to be off book.

This morning the fam loaded up the van and we saw the movie.

The question remains...did I memorize all my lines? Am I off book?

The answer...well, it can be looked at a couple of ways. I suppose I'm off book. In a few hours, I'll be able to prove it. We have rehearsal tonight. I can leave my scripts in my chair and just go for it, which is what I'm planning on doing. It may work out. I might crash and burn, but I'll be off book. Plus, I know the show well--I can improvise. That is the last thing, however, that the director wants me to do. Each word is important. Other actors key off the exact words the other actors say. I know I do.

But, I have to admit that I'm not 100% memorized, but I'm getting there. The show opens up in about ten days and I guaranteed I'll have every line, every block committed to memory. 

This morning I saw the movie, enjoyed the movie, found out when we got home that the last actress on the screen passed away...bittersweet. If you're in the area and you'd like to see You Can't Take It With You, or even if you've never seen it, pick up some tickets. Both casts are great, but I'm on stage Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. And if you do go when I'm in the show, come up after and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment