Thursday, December 8, 2022

Design...Is Dead


 I found this picture on social media earlier this week and the caption attached to the picture is the same as what is being used as the title of this post...

Design Is Dead.

Wow.

And this is just one example.

My wife and I have discussed this very thing many times, especially since my mother-in-law bought a Hyundai around ten years ago. It was a crossover SUV, it was red, and it looked like many other crossover SUVs our there. When my wife and I were driving around town, we'd see a smaller red SUV and think it was our mother-in-law's Hyundai. More often than not, it wouldn't be, but we sure thought it was her car.

This picture explains why we thought so. Down the list, every auto manufacturer built a car that looks a lot like all the other models built by other auto manufacturers. In some ways, I can understand why this happens. You come out with something like a certain Plymouth SVU that's considered by many as "unattractive," you'll be the butt of other's jokes for decades.

Still...

It's sad, and not just because my wife and I have trouble identifying a family member's car. 

I'm guessing things will remain the same more than change in the near future. It's the way of things. Build something safe instead of bold, boring instead of exciting, like everything else instead of something new.

I hope I'm wrong, but time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment