Saturday, December 17, 2022

When Your--Danish--Friends Bring Treats...


 We had guests earlier this week...

And they brought gifts.

The gifts were in the form of a box of treats, but not just any treats...Danish treats.

Like us, another family left the congested roads and gunky air and migrated north, to the land of open fields and happy people. They contacted us and we invited them over. They brought deliciousness.

Funny thing about the times in which we live. I had actually never met these new residents of our county, even though we had known of each other since the advent of social media. That's when I got to know one person, someone who came from Denmark and who moved to America around the same time I left that country to come home.

Man, I miss Denmark, especially at Christmas. These homemade Danish goodies took me back.

We use the word, "Danish" to describe not only a language, but also a food. There's a reason Denmark is famous for its pastry. The treats in the box did the Danish people proud. Holiday food is just one type of delicious food the Scandinavians enjoy. Red cabbage, Danish meatballs, rice pudding...it's all great.

I've loved being able to connect with the Danish culture, even though I'm not 100% Danish...my tests show me having 8% Scandinavian DNA. And it's fun meeting and enjoying the company of new neighbors. Thanks for the goodies! We'll have to make it up to you sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment