Sunday, December 11, 2022

Give Thanks...Thinking About Denmark


Yesterday, we had some time to kill before picking up my daughter at her work, so we stopped by one of our favorite stores, a used book/antique store on Main Street in Brigham City, Utah...3 Goats Gruff.

It's an amazing store full of things I love...books, and old stuff. We've even gotten to know the owners who were there yesterday--it was fun catching up.

While we were there, I found myself standing in front of an antique armoire and I noticed some porcelain dishes. There were several--one was German, but I guessed the others were made in Denmark...

I was right.

When I lived in Denmark for a couple of years in the 1980s, I saw porcelain plates hanging up in almost every home, and the ones most prominent were the Christmas plates, or Juleaften plates. Yesterday, I looked and hoped it'd find a plate form 1985 or 1986 (the two Christmases I spent there...), or if not them, maybe a 1965 plate...the year I was born.

Nope. They had only one plate from the 80s (1989...), and they did have a 1964 and a 1966 plates. I was SO close.

Whenever I see a porcelain figurine in a thrift store or at a yard sale, I quickly check to see if it came from Denmark. Danish figurines have a certain look that I like, personally. When I lived there, I didn't really have the means to buy anything (truth be told, I don't have it now, either...). But, I always look.

Thinking about that experience reminded me that I always find myself thinking about Denmark, the country, the people, the amazing place it is. Whenever I watch the Olympics or the World Cup, I root for the Danes--every time. I can't seem to shake the place, and even though I was there a short time, it's become part of me.

I am so grateful I was able to go there,  to work there, to live there, to find out a little who I was at the time, and to have Denmark be so infused in my life now that helped me become the person I am now. Jeg elsker landet--det er klart. I'm sure, whenever I come upon a stack of Danish Juleaften plates, I'll search them out to see if it's one that means something special to me. If I find it, you can be sure, I'll pick it up.

It's just something I have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment