Sunday, June 13, 2021

Give Thanks...Dogs


 Man's best friend.

I have no scientific proof to know if that statement is true, but I do know that dogs and humans have had a symbiotic relationship that has existed--I would imagine--since there's been dogs and humans. Tonight, the Westminster Dog Show is on TV. For some, I'll bet, the show represents everything that's wrong about humans and dogs. 

They have valid points.

But, as we watch our standard poodle--a dog we rescued--run around the house, chase toys, bark when the sprinklers start in the back yard, and lay down by us and place his head in our laps as we pet him, the TV show reminds us how much we love dogs.

A dog is the perfect companion animal, support animal, rescue animal, hunting animal, work animal. I challenge anyone to find better. I know many can't have dogs in their lives, or chose not to. That's their decision and I respect it. Having a dog is one of the great joys of life.

When I think of the phrase, "Man's best friend," I think I've always thought of it from the human's perspective. Are dogs really our best friends? But, when I think about it, maybe I should be looking at the phrase from the dog's point of view.

And when I do, it makes a lot more sense.

We're the dog's best friend.

That much, is obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment